Turkish Pide Bread Recipe2014-01-26
- Yield : 4 small breads
- Prep Time : 3:20 h
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 3:35 h
500 grams of all purpose flour
150 ml lukewarm water
150 ml warm milk
4 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 packet of instant yeast
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1) In a large bowl, mix a glass of flour with the lukewarm water and the instant yeast. Cover the bowl with some foil and wait for half an hour. The mixture should have small bubbles on top.
2) Add all the other ingredients to the flour, water and instant yeast mixture and knead that until you have a smooth, springy dough. You should knead the dough for at least 15 minutes. If you have a dough mixer then use that.
3) Rub a few drops of olive oil around the dough and cover it with foil and let that rest for couple of hours in a warm room. The dough should double in size.
4) Once the dough has doubled in size then take the dough, make small round balls (size of a tennis ball) and let that rest for few minutes covering it with clean cloth.
5) Then shape the balls into a flat and oval shape. The width should be about 1 cm. Let that rest for at least 20 minutes covered with clean cloth.
6) Pre-heat the oven to 190 C fan and prepare a baking tray by greasing it with some butter. Put a small baking tray at the bottom of the oven to heat up. This will be used for you to put cold water in as you put the bread in the oven for baking so that you can steam up your oven. This is necessary to have a nice baked bread.
7) After 20 minutes, the dough should have doubled in size. Mix the milk and the olive oil for the topping and rub your hands with that mixture and rub that on the shaped dough making hollow shapes using your fingers. Stretch the dough as much as you can keeping it oval shape and then put it on the baking tray.
8) Prepare a glass of water and as you put the bread in the oven pour the water in the already warm baking tray that was in the oven.
9) Bake the bread until it is nice and golden on top. It takes around 10-15 minutes to bake depending on your oven.