- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 60m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
6 small shallots
1 large carrot
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh thyme
500 grams of minced lamb
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
250 grams of peas (it can be fresh or frozen)
2 tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
500 ml of lamb/chicken stock
For the topping
500 grams of potatoes
120 ml of milk
125 grams of butter
2 egg yolks
Salt and White Pepper (optional) for seasoning.
- Cook the lamb on medium heat, stirring and pressing with a fork to break up any lumps until it’s cooked and remove from heat.
- Peel and dice the shallots and carrot in small dices. Put the olive oil in a separate pan together with the diced carrots and shallots, put the lid on and steam cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. Then add and stir in the tomato puree, add the peeled and chopped tomatoes and then add the cooked meat together with the peas and the stock and the basil leaf and let it cook until the peas is cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 190C fan.
- Peel and roughly chop the potatoes in big chunks. Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water, bring it to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Drain and push through a drum sieve or potato ricer while still hot. Warm the milk until the butter has melted, then mix into the potato with the egg yolks and seasoning.
- Pour the meat mixture into an ovenproof dish and spread out evenly. Spoon the potato puree into a piping bag fitted with a large, plain nozzle and pipe the puree in a straight line.
- Cook the pie in the oven until the top is golden on top.
You can prepare this dish until stage 5 and freeze it in readiness to use later.