Pistachio Coconut Cookies Recipe2014-01-27
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
3 egg whites
200 grams of granulated sugar
180 grams of dried coconut powder
200 grams of powdered pistachios
1/2 a teaspoon of cream of tartar
Note: Make sure the egg whites are at room temperature. If you are in a hurry then you can put the eggs in warm water for 4-5 minutes.
If you don’t have cream of tartar, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few drops of lemon juice instead.
1) Separate the egg whites making sure there are no yellow bits at all. Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl with the cream of tartar and start whisking the eggs at medium speed. Once the egg whites starts becoming whitish add the sugar a bit at a time. Accelerate the speed of your mixer to high speed and whisk the egg whites until they are thick like snow. If you turn the mixing bowl upside down and the egg whites don’t move then it means you have reached the right consistency. It takes around 5 minutes of whisking to reach the right consistency.
2) Add the pistachios and the dried coconut powder slowly into the egg whites and stir gently from down folding in upwards with a spatula. This is to make sure that the consistency of the egg whites is not lost.
3) Cover the dough with cling film and let it rest for 2 hours in the fridge.
4) Pre-heat your oven to 175 C fan setting. Prepare your baking tray with parchment paper.
5) Once your dough have rested for 2 hours take it out of the fridge. Prepare a small bowl of water to use to wet your hands because the dough is very sticky. Make walnut sized balls from the dough and place them little apart on the baking tray.
6) Bake the pistachio coconut cookies in the pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes. Baking time will depend on your oven so keep a close eye while baking for the first time.
7) Once the pistachio coconut cookies are cooked remove them from the oven and place them on a cooling rack and sift powdered sugar over them.
8) You can eat these delicious pistachio coconut cookies as soon as they cool but they will be even more divine on the second day.