Chocolate, Zucchini Cake Recipe2014-02-03
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
115 grams of unsalted butter
240 grams of all-purpose flour
60 grams of unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
180 grams of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of instant coffee granules
3 large eggs
350 grams of peeled grated zucchini
160 grams of good-quality chocolate (70% Cocoa)
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 25 cm round baking pan or a 22 cm square baking pan.
2) Wash, peel and grate the zucchini. Squeeze all the excess water from the zucchini and leave to a side.
3) Sieve the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the same bowl and leave to a side.
4) Beat the brown sugar and room temperature butter until fluffy. I normally mix at medium speed for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the vanilla, coffee, and eggs, mix well between each addition.
6) Finely chop the chocolate and combine it with zucchini and about third of the flour mixture in a large bowl. Mix well using a wooden spoon.
7) You should add the rest of the flour mixture into the egg batter using a spatula using a folding method rather than harsh mixing.
8) Fold in the zucchini mixture into the batter slowly using a spatula. Make sure you don’t over mix.
9) Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and level the surface with the spatula.
10) Bake for around 40-45 minutes. You can insert a knife or tooth pick in the centre of the chocolate zucchini cake and see if it comes out clean which means that your cake is cooked.
11) Put the baking pan onto a cooling rack to cool for few minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen, and unclasp the sides of the pan.
12) Best served slightly warm or at room temperature. You could serve with some chocolate sauce if you like.